Sunday, January 2, 2011

Felting Fun!

After seeing the new HP movie (The Deathly Hallows), I totally fell in love with Hermione's hat in the graveyard scene! I've decided that Hermione's hat looks a little felted.

I went and bought this really pretty pink yarn:


And then to my dismay learned that you can only felt with wool, and not acrylic yarns. Always do your research before you buy your yarn kids. So I got this one instead:


I like the colour on the first one better, but that's ok. So being quite used to disastrous mistakes, I decided to follow advice and knit up a swatch to experiment on. I am following the instructions on how to felt here. It started out looking like this:


And after 10 minutes in the hot water wash it looked like this:


I wanted it a bit more felty, so I put it in for another 5 minutes. It came out like this:


Good enough for me! I am going to follow the pattern for the hat from here. Since I didn't leave it in the wash for that long, my swatch didn't shrink, so I'm going to follow the pattern exactly and hope for the best! What's the worst that can happen? Haha.....

2 comments:

  1. Opinion: Do you think it is necessary to use the 7's for the ribbing, or can I just use my 8's all the way through? Also, 82 is not a multiple of 4, yet they want us to do a K2, P2 pattern. Umm... should I change it to 80 or 84?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think 8's would be fine, I don't notice much of a difference when I change needles. And I noticed that too, and added 2 stitches. But then again, I'm using 6's and 7's because those are the size of needles I have. Depends on your head size I guess! If you read through the pattern, changing it to a multiple of 4 should make the decreasing easier too :)

    ReplyDelete